A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Another Fishy Tale - 6 April 2011

I'd walked most of the way round the lakes at Watermead and was on my way back to the car-park with not a single worthwhile photograph. Skipper was just ahead of me with his stick, he always selects a stick to carry or for me to throw for him - preferably into the water. He turned to face me and dropped his stick for me to pick up, but as I approached it I caught sight of a Heron on the edge of the lake, to my left.

It was concentrating on something and didn't even notice Skipper. Calling him quietly, I stepped back behind a bush and out of sight and prepared my camera. I took a couple of pictures before the Heron struck at his quarry in the water, unfortunately the photos of the actual strike only showed his back, hidden in the reeds.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/1300 @ f6.3, iso 1600, 400mm

But when he came up again, he'd caught quite a sizable fish, which he proceeded to eat. I got some pictures but when he repositioned the fish to swallow it I had to move to a better position, he caught sight of me and flew away. Still it was an interesting interlude.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/1600 @ f6.3, iso 1600, 400mm

I continued on my way back to the car-park, where I again put some nuts and seeds on a fence post and waited to see what would appear.

As usual it was the Robin first and he seemed as if he'd decided to pose for the camera.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/200 @ f6.3, iso 1600, 400mm

He was followed by another Robin who, after a shouting match, flew back into the bushes. Then a Great Tit and a Blue Tit both were seen off by this bully before I could get their pictures.

Then a pair of Chaffinches came along, the female managed to get something to eat before he saw her off.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/250 @ f6.3, iso 1600, 400mm
But the male was quite persistent, every time he landed the Robin chased him away. But he soon came back for another go. Eventually he seemed to develop a strategy, he'd fly in and land on the lowest fence spar, the Robin went into the attack and the chaffinch, instead of flying away, flew up to the post and grabbed a few seeds. Then as the Robin flew up to attack, the Chaffinch flew down the other side of the fence to the bottom spar again, then repeated the process, every time the Robin flew down the Chaffinch would fly up the other side and grab a beak-full.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/200 @ f6.3, iso 1600, 400mm
It was fun to watch, but I think the Robin got tired because later he flew into the bushes and didn't even object when the female Chaffinch returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment