A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Charnwood Water - 22 May 2013

Before I start this post, my wife Maja met a tree surgeon outside the Beaumont Leys Library today (23/5/13) and gave her my card.
I would very much like to photograph the "orphans" you mentioned. If thats possible could you email me, the address is on the back of the card.

Yesterday we went to Charnwood Water in Loughborough. There were all the usual water birds, plus a few chicks.

1/200 @ f10, iso 400, 200 mm
A couple of Canada geese had just the one chick and were being very protective, but who can blame them, they usually manage to raise more than that.

1/1000 @ f10, iso 400, 400 mm
You can see the mother love here as she keeps a close eye on her baby.
1/800 @ f10, iso 400, 400 mm
But baby wanted to explore so she had to keep chasing after it.

1/160 @ f10, iso 400, 400 mm
 Close by a Mallard was trying to attract a female, but she was having none of it and kept flying across the corner of the peninsula I was sitting on. Eventually he stood up on the corner, spread his wings and flexed his muscles. Then another male raced in and started chasing her, so his effort was wasted.

1/500 @ f10, iso 800, 400 mm
1/500 @ f10, iso 800, 400 mm
These two Coots are a bit late building their nest, another pair on the other side of the lake already have three chicks.
They are at the stage when they are at their ugliest and only a mother could love them and love them she did. I was never able to get a clear shot of the young ones.

All taken on a
Canon EOS7d with an EF 100 - 400 L series Lens

No comments:

Post a Comment