A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

When the birds are away - 3 June 2013

We went back to Swithland woods yesterday and loaded the stump with seed and nuts. Then while Maja was off taking the dog for a walk, I settled down to await the visitors.

1/100 @ f7.1, iso 800, 400mm
It was a long time before anything arrived, I was buzzed several times by Blackbirds but they didn't hang around. This Robin collected his mouthful on his way across the track. He hopped onto this post, next to the stump and seemed to be looking across at it. But when he took flight, it was away from the stump and he never came back.

1/100 @ f6.3, iso 800, 400mm
In the last few minutes before Maja returned, this Grey Squirrel turned up. First he hid behind a car and surveyed the area and I thought he wasn't coming out.

1/100 @ f6.3, iso 800, 400mm
But he suddenly dashed across the track and up onto the stump.

1/100 @ f6.3, iso 800, 400mm
Where he proceeded to eat as much as he could, taking his time and ignoring a passing car. Being summer he wasn't rushing off to bury his loot and he stayed for about ten minutes.

1/100 @ f6.3, iso 800, 400mm
I'm not sure if this was a pause for breath or a burp, but he looks happy.

1/100 @ f6.3, iso 800, 400mm
I think he could hear a dog coming up the path and a few minutes a Jack Russell appeared and he was off up the nearest tree.

All taken on 
Canon EOS 7d, EOS 100 - 400mm L series zoom

No comments:

Post a Comment