A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

A busy Day at Swithland stump


To be more accurate it was a busy couple of hours sitting in my car watching the feeding stump in the car park.

I didn't expect much when I set up, there was a lot of disturbance from people walking and driving through. But the wildlife gave me a surprise and I too 178 pictures, some of which are here.

1/100 @ f6.3, ISO 800, 400mm

When we arrived two squirrels were already playing round and over the stump. They ran off as we pulled up.  When all had settled we had a visit from a squirrel, it looked like a juvenile.

1/50 @ f6.3, ISO 800, 400mm

Another was watching him from the undergrowth, not sure if he should show himself or not.

1/64 @ f6.3, ISO 800, 400mm

Next was a Nuthatch, he was happy with the meal worms we'd laid out.


1/64 @ f6.3, ISO 800, 3900mm

The Nuthatch having shown it was safe, a nice pair of Tits flew in. Not a matched pair though, a Great Tit and a Coal Tit who weren't too easy in each others company.

1/80 @ f6.3, ISO 800, 390mm

They were followed by a surprise, I caught a glimpse of this bird a few weeks ago but he didn't stop for pictures. On this day he landed and made the most of the food. The Greater Spotted Woodpecker is a striking bird and this one looked like he was going to stay while the food was there.

1/100 @ f6.3, ISO 800, 390mm

He stood guard against all comers and even had a running battle with one of the squirrels. This one took one look at the woodpeckers beak and changed his mind.

1/125 @ f6.3, ISO 800, 375mm

They both vacated the stump after that and a female Blackbird came for a look, but she picked up the food that had been dropped to the floor.


1/125 @ f6.3, ISO 800, 375mm

Later another Squirrel arrived and you can see it is a lot fatter, I thought maybe a parent coming to sort the Woodpecker out for fighting with its offspring :0)


1/125 @ f6.3, ISO 800, 390mm

Maja returned with Skipper and I was telling her everything I had seen when the Woodpecker returned. After he left I said, "all we need now is the Jay." it was only a couple of minutes later that he poked his head round the stump.

1/100 @ f6.3, ISO 800, 380mm

After a good look round he hopped onto the stump and helped himself to a feed.

1/50 @ f6.3, ISO 800, 380mm

and just to round the day off, a Jackdaw came in for a feed.

All taken on a Canon EOS7d with EF 100 - 400mm L series lens.

1 comment: