A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Woodrolfe Creek 27 October 2010


Canon EOS 50D, EF100-400mm L lens
400mm - 1/4000 @ 5.6 iso400

I've just spent a few days at Tollesbury in Essex. I have an oldish boat in a small creek off Woodrolfe Creek and I had to move it to a new mooring, further away from the marina.


There are no other boats close by, but several small salt water ponds and on the other side of the sea wall there are the Saltings which is a great wetland that attracts a lot of migrating birds. From the rear deck of my boat I look out over Woodrolfe Creek where it joins "The Leavings" and, a short distance east of us is the Blackwater Estuary.


When the tide goes out and the mud starts to be revealed, the seabirds, waders and ducks move in.

Canon EOS50D, EF 100-400mm L lens
400mm - 1/640 @ 5.6 iso 400

The Curlew was taken quite late and the light was going, not that it had been much good all day, it was still a little way off when I got the picture and wouldn't come any closer, maybe when it's used to the boat I'll get some close ups.
The Egret, I took as I walked back from an excellent midday meal at the Tollesbury Cruising Club (worth a visit if you're in the area, good food, not expensive and the staff are really helpful). The Egret was looking for food and took off just as I got him in the viewfinder, the sky was overcast most of the day but cleared, for a few moments and the sun caught him just as I was pressing the shutter, I dont think they are the best quality pictures, but he did a few short hops like this one and gave me an amusing display.


No comments:

Post a Comment