A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Close ups - Swthland Woods 26 March 2011

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L lens
1/250 @ F7.1, iso 1600,  370mm
I went back to Swithland Woods today, I wanted to try for some closer pictures of the smaller birds. About a week ago I started seeding a tree stump that was further away from the road than the one in the one in the previous entry, which was right beside the road into the car park.

I set the camera on a tripod, lined it up and manually focused on the stump, then covered the kit with a camouflage cape and put some seeds, nuts and meal worm on the stump. I connected a 5 metre USB cable between the camera and my lap top, then using the remote control program (on EOS Utility) set the camera to live view on the lap top screen.

Then all I had to do was watch and wait, it wasn't long before a blue tit came to look. Unfortunately when I looked at the computer screen he was out of the picture, but he didn't feed because the whole area of the feed was covered by the camera.

After several flypasts, they started to come and the Nuthatch (above) was one of the first. But he wasn't sure if he should eat the nut or play football with it.


Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L lens
1/250 @ F7.1, iso 1600,  370mm
 I'll let you decide if he finally made is mind up to eat the nut or if he's just looking for someone to pass it to.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L lens
1/250 @ F7.1, iso 1600,  370mm
When there is food on offer, particularly mealworms, the Robin is never backwards in coming forwards and this one made several visits. He had an argument with the Nuthatch over it, despite there being plenty for all.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L lens
1/250 @ F7.1, iso 1600,  370mm
In between the others this Coal tit made a few visits, but was very shy and tried to keep out of sight, I got several pictures showing just his back or tail as he ducked. The blue tit came and perched in a nearby bush several times and did several more fly pasts, but never came into view of the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment