A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Quiet Times 10 March 2011

As I walk about the various parks of Leicestershire, I'm struck by how little wildlife there is now. Through the summer, autumn and winter, there has been plenty of choice and even some rare visitors. But now there are a few of the more common birds, although very few Moorhens and I've had great difficulty getting decent pictures.

So below are two common birds that attracted my attention at Charnwood water, Loughborough. This seems to have a good selection of the commoners, probably because it's on the edge of a housing estate and they get fed regularly.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/2656 @ f5.6, iso 400, 400mm
Above a male Mallard having a good shake after washing and below a Canada goose having a good loud honk.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/640 @ f5.6, iso 400, 170mm

No comments:

Post a Comment