A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Butterflies and bugs - 7 July 2011

Canon EOS 7d, Ef 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/640 @ 6.3, iso 800, 400mm
This Speckled Wood butterfly took some keeping up with, it seemed hyper active, hopping from plant to plant and not stopping for more than  a couple of seconds on each. But eventually it settled and spread it wings in the sunshine, giving me a chance to get the picture.

Canon EOS 7d, Ef 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/1000 @ 6.3, iso 800, 400mm
While I was taking the picture of the Speckled Wood, this fly came and settled nearby so I took it's picture as well.

Canon EOS 7d, Ef 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/1328 @ 6.3, iso 800, 400mm
A bit further along and this female Orange Tipped White was too busy taking the nectar to care what I was doing with my camera.

Canon EOS 7d, Ef 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/320 @ 6.3, iso 800, 400mm
At Moorhen Marsh a coot parent was feeding its chick, looking at the head of the chick I suddenly realised where the saying "bald as a coot" comes from. It's remarkable to see such a belligerent bird as a coot, which will ague with anything in its area, being so tender when it feeds its chick.

Canon EOS 7d, Ef 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/500 @ 6.3, iso 800, 400mm
I took some pictures of Teasels and it wasn't until I was at home looking at the pictures on the computer that I noticed this little monster, it looks like something out of a kids monster comic. But in fact it is the Larva stage of a Seven Spot Ladybird, it seems strange that it is bigger than the adult form.

No comments:

Post a Comment