A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

An unusual visitor - 3 July 2011

A walk at Watermead today and first thing was to check on the grebe nest. The mother seemed very settled and comfortable, so i would think the egg is safe under her.I think it's due to hatch towards the end of next week. The mother was very low and didn't look like a good picture, so we'll have to wait for some pictures.
Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/500 @ f6.3, iso 800, 400mm

Walking on there wasn't much happening until I reached the Hole in the Wall hide and a glance through the gap showed this young Grey Heron. He seemed quite happy to pose and allowed me to take a lot of pics.

Then a flurry of white feathers announced an arrival, at first I thought it was a gull arriving. But it was soon obvious that it was a Little Egret.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/500 @ f7.1, iso 800, 400mm

Not a common bird so far inland, they usually prefer coastal waters, but before long a second one arrived. Unfortunately it went behind the reeds and flew out again when the first one flew at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment