A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Fly against the wind - 12 September 2011

Most of the birds  at Watermead  south were hiding from hurricane Katia, but as I walked back towards the car park I spotted Paul (alula site see link) sitting in the bottom of a ditch and pointing his camera into the air. Unfortunately Skipper saw him before he saw Skipper and he was suddenly engulfed by wet fur, excited dog and long wet tongue. I think Skipper regards Paul as part of his extended pack, he's always excited to see him.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L lens
1/1000 @ 7.1, iso 800, 100mm
 Paul had noticed that the birds were flying between the raised grass islands near the car-park and the lake. But as they returned to the lake they were flying into the wind so they were flying much more slowly, making it easier to take photos.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L lens
1/1000 @ 6.3, iso 800, 160mm
Nor were Mallard the only ones, the Canada Geese were having fun as well.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L lens
1/80000 @ 6.3, iso 800, 180mm
And the white domestic geese.

No comments:

Post a Comment