A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Charnwood Water 3 November 2010

It was bright sunshine when I went out to my car and loaded my photo gear. When We arrived at Charnwood Water, Loughborough (only a few miles away), it was overcast and looking like rain.
Someone was sitting on the ramp feeding the birds and there was a lot of squabbles going on, mainly between Gulls.
I'm told that when food is being given out, birds often fly in to get their share. But, as is usually the case when I have a camera at the ready, all the birds at that end of the lake were either swimming or walking, so no BIF's today. We walked the dog round the lake instead and on the way round noticed what could be good places to set up the camera at, or near, water level. But that will have to wait for another day.

Most of the way round the lake a Great Crested Grebe obliged and and I managed some reasonable pictures.


Canon EOS 50d, EF 100-400 L lens
1/100 @ 5.6, iso 800 focal length 285mm

A bit further round the lake and someone else was feeding the birds, there wasn't much of interest until I noticed a couple of Moorhens on the periphery of the group, they were keeping out of the main melee and only nipping in to steal a stray bit of bread when a piece presented itself.

I sat down with my back against a tree and waited, Moorhens are usually quite shy, but these two didn't seem to mind me and let me get several shots before the heavens opened and everyone beat a hasty retreat for cover.

Canon EOS 50d, EF 100-400m L lens

1/100 @ 5.6, iso 800 Focal Length 400mm



Canon EOS 50d, EF 100-400mm L lens

1/30 @5.6, iso 800, Focal Length 400mm

I'd decided that today I'd work entirely in manual exposure instaed of my usual AV. I was really pleased with the results, it's marginally slower but the pics are sharper and I got a bigger percentage of keepers.

No comments:

Post a Comment