A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Watermead Country Park - 6 Nov 2010

Today started out looking unpromising, we entered at the Wanlip entrance to the park and went to Merril's lake. It looked deserted, just a couple of swans and a pack of gulls. So we drove further in and I walked across to plover hide. The lakes from here were deserted as well. I carried on walking and as I came out of the gate near King Lears lake Maja, who'd walked round the other way with Skipper, was just come along the path. There was very little on this lake as well. So we carried on round, only pausing for a chat with my old boss from the hospital where I used to work.

Carrying on we crossed the wooden bridge and walked down to Moorhen Marsh, which was under water after the rain yesterday, but there was a lot more life on the lake. Here Maja and Skipper left me and returned to move the car to the Meadow Lane entrance, while I continued round the lake.


Three Cormorant were posing on the rafts in the middle and I took some pics of them. Then I noticed a bird I'd not seen on this lake before, it was swimming with some coots and about the same size. The light brown patch on it's forehead made me wonder if it was a hybrid but then I realised it was a wigeon and shortly after a female joined it.




Canon EOS 50d - ef 100-400mm L Lens
5.6 @ 1250, iso 400, 370mm


The only birds flying where a long way off at the other side of the lake, so no chance there. From there I walked through to the hide wall and got some photos of a heron roosting in a tree, but there was nothing else there. Walking back towards Meadow Lane, past the pond where Paul saw a Kingfisher a few days ago (non in evidence today), I spotted another Heron on an island in the middle of the last lake before the car park. Tried a few pics but the sun was in my face making it very difficult.

Maja arrived at Meadow lane just before me and was getting the flack of coffee out as I arrived, so camera gear in the back of the car we sat in the front to enjoy the hot drink. Almost immediately a blue tit landed in the bushes and had me wishing I had the camera up front with me. Then it flew off and we spotted a grey squirrel just below where it had been. We have never seen squirrels there before, always thought they would be, but never seen them.


Canon EOS 50d, EF 100-400mm L lens
1/40 @ 5.6, iso 800, 400mm

I waited, sure that if I got out of the car to get my camera the squirrel would disappear into the woods. Eventually he moved round so there was another parked car between me and him and I took a chance. Whether he saw me or not I don't know, but he moved back to the place we first saw him and leaning against the back of the car for stability I managed to get some photos.

Canon EOS 50d, EF 100-400mm L lens
1/80th @ 5.6, iso 800, 400mm

Then he came round the perimeter fence and behind the cars, almost to where I was standing and I managed to get some close ups.

Canon EOS 50d, EF 100-400mm L lens
1/60 @5.6, iso 800, 400mm

I know a lot of people regard them as vermin and blame them for the loss of our native reds. I also know that I would have to travel a long way to get pictures of reds (which I will do eventually) and that the greys are not only photogenic, but they are also the only option in Leicestershire. So I don't apologise for taking photos of them or saying that they can look cute.





No comments:

Post a Comment