A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Monday, January 10, 2011

A Grand Week-end - 8 & 9 January 2011

The sun was out, the light was good and there were more cameras per square inch od the Watermead park than I've ever seen. This was mostly due to the announcement in the local press that a Bittern had been sighted.

I didn't go looking for it, the queues were apparently similar to the start of the January sales and one report I heard was that the clicking of so many shutters frightened the poor bird into the reeds.

So we stayed away - maybe later in the week - hmm.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/1000 @ 5.6, iso 800, 400mm
Gadwall are much in evidence at the moment and this one provided much amusement, just before I got my camera onto it, when it tried to stand on one leg and fell over. I guess the ice is just as slippy for them as it is for us.

Saturday evening and were beginning to lose the light. But as the sun disappeared in the west, it lit the lake up with a soft redish light. It is one of those strange anomalies of photography that photographers spend thousands of pounds on equipment that gives tack sharp pictures, then look for this kind of light to give a soft feel to their efforts.
Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/1000 @ 5.6, iso 800, 400mm
This Mute Swan set it's sails and with a slight angle to the direction of sunlight was nicely lit up by it's softness.



Sunday and again there was good light, but for some reason - less birds,, maybe it's because more water is opening up as the ice slowly melts.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/100 @ 5.6, iso 400, 400mm
I liked this coot with the droplet of water just falling from it's beak. and similarly the Gadwall below.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/100 @ 5.6, iso 400, 400mm
As I write this on monday morning the sun is coming and going and I don't  know if there will be any light for pictures later - we can only try.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy your photos John and Im learning about birds,now thats a bonus.

    Thanks for sharing your Magical photos Mate and Ive added a link on my blog to hear so more can share them.

    Take care.

    John.

    ReplyDelete