A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Watermead Park - 23 May 2011

The weather looked as if  it was going to get wet, but Skipper needs his walk and doesn't seem to worry about getting wet. So Watermead park was decided on. The wind was blowing a hoolie as we arrived at the car park and before we crossed the bridge the rain was coming down in bucket loads, cant really complain we need it.

I walked most of the way round before I took the camera out of the bag. What prompted me was the sight of this mother Coot feeding her babies.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/125 @ f6.3, eos 1600, 400m
The chicks again look bigger than their mother with a head that looks too small for the body.

When they were younger, they really are the Ugly Ducklings, with a face only a mother could love.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/200 @ f6.3, eos 400, 400mm
In the next lake this Grebe and reflection caught my eye.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/250 @ f6.3, eos 1600, 400mm
And on the other side of the path, these two Little Grebe were fishing and keeping company with each other. They are so small, I'll have to keep an eye open for their chicks.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/32 @ f6.3, eos 400, 400mm
I saw this Sedge warbler fly into the reeds and waited for it to emerge. When it came it was flying quite fast so apologies for the less than perfect image. I had difficulty keeping it in focus, even with the 7d's tracking facility.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/1328 @ f6.3, eos 1600, 400mm
As I crossed the bridge on my way back to the car park at Thurmaston, I spotted this white throat hopping about in a small dead tree. It wouldn't keep still and it was hard to predict where it would jump to next

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/800 @ f7.1, eos 1600, 400mm

No comments:

Post a Comment