A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Watermead Park - 24 May 2011

We went back to Watermead today, hoping to get some more photos of the Little Grebe.

I was just focussing on a Coot chick, when Maja called me over to the side of the pool and pointed to a movement on the surface. I had to be quick and the photos aren't perfect but this is what we saw.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/320 @ f6.3, iso 400, 400mm

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/500 @ f6.3, iso 400, 400mm

It was about two feet long and moving quite quickly, friends think it is from the Carp family, I've never been a fish person so I don't know but I did hear there was a ghost carp in one of the pools a couple of years ago.

When it had disappeared we started to walk on and were immediately confronted by a Mallard family with eleven chicks. We were pleased to see them because we think they are the family we saw a couple of weeks ago, but we didn't think she would manage to raise all eleven. They usually lose a few to pike, heron etc.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/200 @ f6.3, iso 400, 100mm

The trouble with them was I could never get a picture with them all in shot, there were always a few delinquents off exploring on their own.

As I walked around the pool looking for the Little Grebe, which never showed up all day, I saw this Bullfinch fly into a bush. Luckily it stopped just inside the outer branches and I was able to get this shot, it's not the best but there was no way to get closer, the lake was between us.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/320 @ f6.3, iso 1600, 400mm


Time to go home and I made my way to the car park where, on the ground in front of me was a Chaffinch.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/500 @ f6.3, iso 400, 400mm

And a few feet away was this fledgling.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/640 @ f6.3, iso 400, 400mm

A good tip for taking wildlife pictures - don't put the camera away until you leave the area, you never know when something interesting will pop it's head out.

No comments:

Post a Comment