A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Grey after the heat - 28 June 2011

Well after the heat of earlier in the week, today was quite grey and when we arrived by the worcester avenue entrance to the lake, there were few birds in sight.

I decided to sit at the moorhen marsh and wait, it was quiet and warm with a slight breeze, quite a pleasant place to sit. I could see a grebe in the distance, he was swimming across and back at a safe distance. A family of mute swans swam out at a similar distance and while I was distracted with a heron, flying into the reeds at the other end of the lake the grebe came closer. I watched him grooming for a while then shaking himself.

As he came closer he continued grooming so I got the camera ready and before long he obliged :

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/1328 @ 5.6, iso 1600, 350mm
It was worth waiting for and you can see his crest hanging down like a black head scarf.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/1328 @ 5.6, iso 1600, 350mm

Then the area started to live up to it's name and, between the coots, several moorhens started to appear.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/320 @ 5.6, iso 1600, 350mm
As I was leaving, a miniature frog showed itself, briefly, then disappeared into the undergrowth before I could take its picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment