A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Watermead Park - 30 May 2011

I went back to Watermead today looking for the Little Grebe which failed to put in an appearance and then a woodpecker that I'd been told about, this also failed to show itself.

However,  there was some activity today which started with this Mallard being chased by a coot because it strayed too close to the coots nest. I slowed the speed a bit to get this effect with the spray.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/6 @ f6.3, iso 400, 340mm
Further round we came to, what we've dubbed, Moorhen Marsh. It's a boggy area at the End of the Worcester Crescent lake. There wasn't much happening there until this chick climbed out on to a sand spit and started to dance and jump about, apparently with joy.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/800 @ f6.3, iso 800, 400mm

It kept this up for several minutes, then slipped back into the water and swam away. I know people say we shouldn't attribute human emotions to animals, but if that chick wasn't dancing with joy, it was certainly giving a good impression of it.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/3200 @ f6.3, iso 1600, 310mm

Close to the entrance to Worcester Crescent, this Mallard flew towards me and landed close by, several more swam towards me as if I was going to feed them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment