A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

A surprise at Thornton - 16 June 2011

A trip to Thornton Reservoir started out fairly boring, there was very little wildlife even the squirrel wasn't there to rob the bird feeder. I was about halfway along the west side before I saw this Ringlet butterfly, it was accompanied by another brown butterfly but I haven't been able to identify that one.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/1000 @ 6.3, iso 800, 400mm

I watched a pair of grebe necking for a while, but they were too far away for decent pictures, martins were skimming the fields and water but too quick for me to get focus on them. I'd resigned myself to look for butterflies and was some way back towards the car park, before I saw a black and white shape on the shore.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/2656 @ 5.6, iso 800, 400mm

It wasn't until it turned round that I realised I was looking at an Oyster Catcher, a rarity for us, being so far inland.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/4000 @ 5.6, iso 800, 400mm

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/4000 @ 5.6, iso 800, 400mm
After a few minutes it took off and flew along the reservoir and I didn't see it again - maybe it went to look for the sea. Anyway what looked like an unpromising outing suddenly became very interesting and I entered the Oyster catcher on the record of unusual sightings in the local garden centre.

A note on equipment; I wear a Tilley Hat (you can see it on the photo of me in the right hand column). It is a well made Canadian hat, made of cotton. The brim, when it gets wet, goes stiff so it guides the rain away from your face. The reason I'm telling you this is, mine recently developed a small hole so I emailed them and a replacement will be posted to me first thing tomorrow. Tilley have a Life time guarantee - not the life time of the owner, but the life time of the hat. You can Will them on to your beneficiaries when you pop your clogs. I think I might take mine with me when I go :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment