A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Monday, February 28, 2011

A Grey Day at Thornton Reservoir - 25 February 2011

It was a grey day and I nearly didn't take the camera, but as I arrived at Thornton Car park I spotted a shape I didn't recognise and moved in for a closer look. I soon realised it was a Lapwing and it was accompanied by two more, they were sitting on the wall at the side of the wier.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/250 @ f5.6, iso 800, 400mm
Along the path, past the fishing lodge, there is a bird feeder up in a clearing in the bushes. But the birds weren't getting a look in, this squirrel took control of it and his antics were worth watching, if only for the amusement value.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/125 @ f5.6, iso 800, 400mm
On the water there wasn't much happening except that the Great Crested Grebe seem to be thinking about pairing up for the breeding season and there were signs of them starting their courtship dances, unfortunately they were all too far away to get a decent picture - but I'll be watching them and as soon as I get anything decent, I'll post it here.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/200 @ f5.6, iso 800, 400mm
As I turned to go back to the car, I spotted a movement in one of the meadow like gardens on the right. First all I saw was the chaffinch, but then the Song Thrush popped up out of a dip in the ground. I was pleased to see him, I have seen any kind of thrush for quite a while.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/640 @ f5.6, iso 800, 300mm
I turned away from the Thrush and was serenaded by a Robin, I think he was jealous that I hadn't taken his picture, so always happy to oblige, here he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment