A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Long awaited entry - 5 February 2011

This has been a long time coming, my internet connection broke, so I've not been able to post anything for a while - I'm hoping it's all ok now.

You haven't missed much, there has been a lot of grey and wet weather. But on Thursday last, there was some sunshine and I took Skipper out to Watermead Park to see what was about. There wasn't a lot but I did manage to get some pics.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/1000 @ 5.6, iso 400, 275mm
The first thing to catch my eye was right by the Meadow Lane car-park these two Mallard posing on a log. I've seen them there before but they usually get off as soon as anyone looks at them.

Just beyond the crossroads and dogbin there is a track leading towards the hides path. This is a favourite place for Skipper to go for a swim, but he wont go in if there are any birds already there. Luckily there weren't today and he rushed around looking for a stick, he gets most upset if I throw one and it sinks (as some do). He swims in circles looking for it until I call him out but even then he'll look back from the bank to see if he can see it.

We walked on to the "Hole in the Wall" hide (or fence if you prefer), where I could see some Canada Geese and Male and female Goosander.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/2700 @5.6, iso 400, 400mm
This Male decided to get into a flap and stretch his wings, so I took several shots of him with his wings in different positions.

We walked on to the next big lake, and I was surprised at how few birds I could see. But, as I followed the track round the back of the lake, the reason soon became apparent.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/2700 @ 4.5, iso 400, 100mm
The park staff were pollarding the trees, the noise from the chainsaw and JCB plus the smoke must have driven them onto other lakes. But if we want a nice accessible park, it has to be manged properly and they looked to be doing a good job of it.

As I walked back towards the car-park the sun was shining through the trees and hedges and I noticed this Bracken leaf in the ditch, it seemed to have been picked out by a beam of sunlight.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/60 @ 5.6, iso 400, 400mm
 Ordinarily I'd probably walk past this leaf without noticing it but the way it was picked out, and all the other leaves were left in the dark, just appealed to me.

Opposite the car-park I sat on the picnic bench and watched more Goosander, some swans and in the distance a couple of shovellors. But this Coot drifted into view while having a good scratch, so I thought I'd catch him with his leg up.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/250 @ 5.6, iso 800, 310mm
I know we shouldn't anthropomorphise but by grin on his face he seems to be enjoying his scratch.  



No comments:

Post a Comment