A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Not Good Weather for Photography - 16 February 2011

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/1250@ 5.0, iso 800, 100mm

It has not been good weather for Photography recently. Last weekend I was in Snowdonia and the weather was so bad, I didn't take my camera out of its case.  Wednesday I was at Watermead Park and apart from a ragged old teasel and this swan there was not a lot worth taking. It's not just that the light becomes grey and uninteresting, but also the wildlife doesn't come out to play.

I took the swan because of its reflection and its cheek in demanding to be fed and hissing at Skipper who was lying down behind me and bothering no-one.

I ran into Paul as I was leaving and stopped for a chat, he was set up near to the car park, watching for a Heron that seems to be building a nest. Paul can sit there for hours waiting for some action, but I have to exercise Skipper. Sometimes that works in his favour and sometimes in mine (like the Mandarin Duck a couple of weeks ago).

While we were talking, the light dropped and we heard the unmistakable sound of the starlings coming in to their night time roost. I knew it was time to go then and a chill air was creeping in.

As we left I looked up and saw a clear Moon - not quite full - but a good view non-the-less. So I decided to experiment with some pictures, Paul cycled away as I took my camera out again. I experimented with various pictures and reflections. This was the result.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/2500@ 5.6, iso 3200, 400mm
Using just my 100 - 400mm zoom at 400mm I was very pleased with the clarity of the results. Note the craters on the left side and round below - you can see them better if you click on the image to increase its size.

No comments:

Post a Comment