A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Monday, February 21, 2011

A walk in the Park - 18 February 2011

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1.0  @ F32, iso 400, 100mm
The weather hasn't shown much of an improvement and it looks like continuing like this next week.
On Friday I took Skipper for a walk in Bradgate park, the light was so grey I nearly didn't take the camera. But you know the old adage about a real photographer never goes anywhere without a camera, it must have been  playing on my  subconcious. Because as I reached for my mobile phone, I picked up the camera as well. It was a good thin I did!

As we strolled through the park, there was not a bit of animal life in sight, apart from people and their dogs. I looked at the river and wasn't inspired, but when I reached the waterfall, I decided to play with shutter speeds and get that silky effect that displays the movement of the water.

Furthe along the road to Lady Jane Greys house I spotted a deer crossing the road and knowing they rarely travel alone, I got in closer and hid behind a tree. Skipper lay down behind me and we were rewarded by a mass crossing of about 200 deer. They were looking for grazing close to the house.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/ 250 @ 4.5, iso 800, 100mm
This is just the advanced party, there were so many even Skipper was getting restless by the time the last one crossed. 
Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/100 @ 5.6, iso 800, 400mm
This old one gave me a very suspicious look as I moved round the tree to take his picture, I suspect he could see Skipper on the ground behind me as well. I dont suppose he has many seasons left in him. He looks too old to win a rutting challenge.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/100 @5.6, iso 800, 400mm
This one seems to have chosen his mate already, or she chose him, any way they stayed close together all the time I was there.

Canon EOS 7d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/200  @ 5.6, iso 800, 400mm
I got the feeling this 14 pointer was the boss, he looked magnificent and strutted around like he owned the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment