A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Boxing day and an uncommon visitor to Leicestershire - 26 December 2010

I visited Watermead South today, that's the more organised end of the park. It usually draws a lot of people and today was no different. But its saving grace is it has a lot of waterbirds, usually the more common kind, however with the ice closing down most of the available water, I thought it was worth a look to see what was there.

Canon EOS 50d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/500 @ f5.6, iso 400, 400mm
At first I thought there wasn't much about, but then between the Canada Geese, Swans and Coots, I spotted this unexpected smaller bird. The Ruff (*)is associated with flood meadows etc. but I have never seen one round here before. Apologies for the back end of the Canada Goose but the Ruff was keeping close to the bigger birds, I think he was using them to shelter from the breeze.
(*) I have to own up to misidentifying this bird I thought it was a Knot, but got it properly identified at www.birdguides.com

Then a group of juvenile swans provided some amusement, they ran across the ice at full speed using their wings for balance, flapping as if they were going to fly, but then sliding to a halt near the far shore.

Canon EOS 50d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/500 @5.6,  iso 400,  400mm

Several of them did this and a couple of adults joined in, then they plodded back to the start, slipping and sliding on their way.

Now a question, this goose, was among the birds on the ice and I cant identify it. It may be a cross breed but just in case its not and someone can identify it I'll put it up here.

Canon EOS 50d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/500 @ 5.6, iso 400, 400mm

Canon EOS 50d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/500 @ 5.6, iso 400, 400mm
It is similar in size to a Canada Goose but with pink beak and legs, more white on the face and a speckled neck. It's not a Barnacle goose, the face is wrong and it's too big.

So anyone got any suggestions?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment