A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Friday, December 24, 2010

Short days and little water - 22 December 2010

With the short winter days and most of the water being frozen, photographers, who were just on a nodding acquaintance, now find themselves forced into closer proximity. If the weather gets any harder, we'll soon be sitting on top of each other in an effort to get the best pictures in the best light.

Canon EOS 50d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/500 @ f8, iso 400, 400mm
As I was walking to the only open water at Watermead park, this Wren popped out on the hunt for food. They're difficult to spot when the leaves are still on the trees, so this was a rare sighting. How such a small bird survives a winter like this one I don't know. I also sighted a Kingfisher at the hole in the wall "hide" but he was gone before I could get a picture and didn't return.

After a brief wander around the top lake and  a swan taking a dislike to skipper, who was sitting quietly behind me, we moved on to see what was on the open areas of the river soar.

Canon EOS 50d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/320 @ 6.3, iso 400, 390mm
Surprise visitors, this year, are the goosanders and I found four of them swimming between the ice on the  Soar. I've been around this river most of my life, I even did the first canoe descent from its start at Sharnford and lived beside it for several years, but I've been seen such a variety of water birds as I've seen this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment