A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

A sprinkle of snow - 21 December 2010

Overnight there was a sprinkle of snow, nothing much, but on top of the hoare frost the previous day, it added another dimension to the countryside.

Canon EOS 50d, EF 100-400mm L Lens
1/320 @ 5.6, iso 400, 260mm
I was walking along the path beside the lake and approaching the end near moorhen marsh, the light snow cover was still visible (just). Across the lake I could see a darkly clad figure moving about near to one of the "beaches" and wondered if it was Paul (www.alulawildlifephotos.yolasite.com) setting up to take some pics.
As I passed an old, disused, five bar wooden gate, I noticed it still had a light covering of snow and the meadow behind was still white from the hoare frost of the day before. I thought, "that'd be a nice picture if there was a robin on it."

The thought had no sooner formed than a robin duly landed on the gate and started to pose. So never one to miss and opportunity, I whipped the camera out and managed about ten shots before he flew away again.


Canon EOS 50d, Ef 100400mm L Lens
1/800 @ 5.6, iso 400, 105mm
Around the other side of the lake, the dark figure proved to be Paul and by the time we got there, he was flat on his stomach with his camera down at water level, taking some close-ups of the  birds with his 500mm lens. This totally confused Skipper as he likes Paul and rushed towards him, hoping to play, but finding him flat out like that didn't know what to do, so he rushed back to me.
Anyway we stopped there for some time taking pictures of the various birds in the water and on the ice. After a while a couple arrived to feed the birds and all hell broke loose with birds calling, running and flying in from all directions. Fortunately I had the camera set to rapid fire and did something I don't usually do, it's known as machine-gunning. That means, I held the shutter release down and let it take the 8 fps it's capable of the sound of the shutter clicking away is what gives it the name. Most of the photos where not very good - too many birds crossing in front confusing the auto focus, but some came out ok.

Above, as they came into land their bow waves clashed and I think, by the way they're looking at each other, they both got a beak full.
Below he wasn't trying to walk on water, just coming in to land.

Canon EOS 50d, EF100 - 400mm L Lens
1/800 @ 5.6, iso 400, 160mm




No comments:

Post a Comment