A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Hoare Frost and a white wonder land - 20 December 2010

A deep Hoare Frost turned everything white today, the light was great for some pictures and not so good for others.

Canon EOS 50d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/80 @ 5.6, iso 400, 400mm
I'd no sooner arrived at the car park and opened the car door, that this Robin appeared and settled on a fence post less than 10 feet from me. I was sure he'd fly off if I moved, but I reached for the camera anyway. The Robin, living up to its cheeky reputation, never moved. He just cocked his head and looked around, he stayed until some people came along the footpath and I managed to get 15 shots of him.



Canon EOS 50d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/200 @ 5.6, iso 400, 400mm
I've been watching this clump of teasels for some time and taking pictures when something new happened, first a stormy sky gave a nice brown glow to the background, then the snow filled the spaces between the thorns. But today the hoare frost gave a new aspect to it and made it look as if it belonged on a Christmas tree as a decoration.


Canon EOS 50d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/400 @ 4.5, iso 400, 100mm
The teasels where further back along this path, but as I approached the wooded area, it seemed like I was entering a winter wonderland with frost clinging to every available place.



Canon EOS 50d, EF 100 - 400mm L Lens
1/250 @ 5.6, iso 400, 400mm
I don't know what these two coots were up to, but she seems to be aiming a kick at his tender parts. At the same time, and all the time we were there, a group of about ten male shovellers were swimming in a tight circle with their heads down - apparently looking for food. They must have been getting something because they didn't raise their heads for more than a few seconds. Unfortunately their formation didn't make for good pictures.

Weather permitting, I will be posting all through the holidays. But in case some of you who have better things to do;

I Wish you all a very happy Yule Tide and a prosperous New Year.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment