A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Watermead Park - 9 December 2010

Canon EOS 50d, EF 100-400mm
1/500 @ 5.6, iso 200, 250mm

Most of the birds in the park seem to prefer to keep still and warm, there's just a few Coot and Moorhens and of course Mallard and Mute swans that seem active in the small area of remaining water. A group of Shovellers have taken up residence on the ice but rarely lift their beaks from under their wings.

After a, not very successful shoot at the "open water", I was walking back to the car when this Heron popped up out of the ditch alongside me. It flew a little way, then walked along the path just ahead of me. I took some pics, but from behind and on a tarmac path, they weren't very interesting.

Then it flew round the next corner and I thought it had gone. But as I rounded the bushes, there it was on the lake edge with a nice frozen blue background. My first pic was a good one, but when I looked at it on the computer, it showed the look of "far away" concentration was due to it performing it's necessary functions and I had  a perfect image of the excrement about to hit the ground. The pic above was the second photo in the sequence - don't want to offend delicate sensibilities.


No comments:

Post a Comment